Nuffnang

My travel log / photo-spam blog!

Home

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gunung Telapa Buruk, Negeri Sembilan

27th February 2011
Duration: 4 hours

MNS Selangor Branch Bird group organised a trip for Birdwatching on a Sunday morning at Gunung Telapa Buruk, Negeri Sembilan.
I woke up at 4am just so to make sure I will arrive at the meeting point on time. Mr Tang was kind enough to lend me a seat in his car.


Asian Brown Flycatcher




We only went up about half way and started walking down from there.

Henry Goh
Almost all the birds I saw there were Lifers for me, except for the Verditer Flycatcher.
Although the group recorded a total of 37 species sighted and heard, I only saw about ten of them! That's like 27%!  !!!
yikes lots of catching up for me to do..



This Leafbird was one hard bird to spot. Very well camouflaged among the leaves.
No wonder it's called a "Leafbird"!
Blue-winged Leafbird

Drongo Cuckoo

Ashy Bulbul

Golden Orb Weaver


I'm no expert of spider ID, but I conclude that it is of the species Nephila maculata with 99.9% confidence! Why do I say so? Because Wikipedia does! click the link and scroll to the middle of the page. Exact same spider features!
of course, the 0.1% error could be due to incorrect data on wikipedia. 
Anyway most of the other websites I found shows the same spider picture 
so yeah.. Most probably I'm right! :)

Water from some river.
Very refreshing, drinkable or not, I dunno.



Black-thighed Falconet
Couldn't get a clear photographic opportunity of this Malkoha as it was skipping among the branches.
Shy bird.
Red-billed Malkoha
This Trogon was the opposite instead!
It perched there for quite a long time, letting us snap snap snap till we had enough!
This time it's us who walked away, and not the bird. :D
Orange-breasted Trogon
Here, I saw my first cicada. Two different types of them.




Are these counted as Lifers? :P
Apparently only Males "sing". They sing to attract females for mating.
I recorded their mating call if you are interested.
 (pardon the motorbike sound in the middle heh)

This trip was fun for me with 9 new species sightings checked off my checklist! :)
The down part was that I didn't get much photos hehe
Got to know some fellow birders and I'm sure I'll be seeing them soon enough!

____________________________________________________________________

Gunung Telapa Buruk, Negeri Sembilan
Coordinates: N2 50.455 E102 04.145 (peak)
                    N2 50.863 E102 00.112 (to trail head)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alvin, good write-up and pics of the trip! Most important thing you enjoyed the outing and made new friends. Do feel free to check out my photo blog at http://henrygoh18.blogspot.com. Cheers!

    Henry Goh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been really interested in this trip especially the ones organised by MNS but getting up early - just cannot, so hoping one day I will do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Henry Hi Henry, yes I've been visiting your blog even before meeting you up on Sunday. Just didn't know that you're the blogger! haha

    @Nava You should really make the effort to wake up! it's totally worthwhile. Besides, you can catch up on your sleep later in the afternoon like I did :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...